where to put dist utility script
Dave Mitchell
2024-03-08 13:33:32 UTC
Where within a distribution directory should I put a utility script
that is for use by the author(s) during development, but isn't needed
during build, and shouldn't be installed? (Specifically, somewhere under
dist/ExtUtils-ParseXS/).

I assume that stuff under bin/ gets automatically installed??
--
The optimist believes that he lives in the best of all possible worlds.
As does the pessimist.
Paul "LeoNerd" Evans
2024-03-08 13:42:51 UTC
On Fri, 8 Mar 2024 13:33:32 +0000
Post by Dave Mitchell
Where within a distribution directory should I put a utility script
that is for use by the author(s) during development, but isn't needed
during build, and shouldn't be installed? (Specifically, somewhere
under dist/ExtUtils-ParseXS/).
I assume that stuff under bin/ gets automatically installed??
In a normal CPAN module I've done things like having a
"rebuild-thing.pl" script just at toplevel. Being called ".pl"
lowercase, it doesn't confuse EU:MM or MB into running it. I don't know
whether that would work for dists that are shipped with core perl.

Failing that, I would imagine something like a "regen/" directory
within the dist should also get ignored. The name "regen" also
reminiscent of the toplevel one used by perl core itself, would
suggest to folks what its purpose is.
--
Paul "LeoNerd" Evans

***@leonerd.org.uk | https://metacpan.org/author/PEVANS